Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Day Eight: Uganda: Jinga, the Source of the Nile River

10:43pm, May 7th, 2019
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1vwxvQ3FXP-Wji87NfKRZnV7BDCFElfvmToday was a bit different. My aunt and I woke up at 5:45 so that we could leave for Jinga, the source of the Nile River, by 6am with Flavia. So Flavia got here, and I went back to sleep for the two-hour car ride. We got to Jinga, and our boat showed up 30 minutes late, so that was an unfortunate turn to the day. But he finally showed up, it turned out that the water was pretty choppy which I soon found out for the next hour. After an hour of going up the Nile River and entering into Lake Victoria, we finally arrived at Sambuka Island which is a very very very small island that is a resort that you can stay at in bungalows, but it is also a bird sanctuary! I do not like birds. So that was a bit of an experience. We also saw five monitor lizards which had my aunt and Flavia and I screaming. A man by the name of Paul showed us around and showed us some rooms, told us the history of the island, and talked about all of the species of birds that reside on the island. Paul was very charismatic, and we all appreciated that after a tricky morning. After a late breakfast, we got back on the boat, and it took us an hour and a half to get back because the wind had picked up.  
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1zHIb5i1PgV_zD6Ak-Sa-JYSyAObz2ojBhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=18wiX_smMTPz2E11FDOVi2gfkAu3dWo9K
After we got back to the car, we went to The Nile River Haven which had a perfect view of the rapids in the Nile, and that was quite amazing to see. After admiring the rapids, we started our long drive back to Robin and Roses’s, but the traffic was horrific. We finally got back three and a half hours later, and I sat down to talk with Robin. Robin reminds me so much of my grandfather who passed away years ago, and they speak like they are almost the same person, and they were terrific friends, both economists. So I enjoy talking with Robin, we talked about the World Wars and geography and the Nile River and many more things. https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1XnEmYBD77aYLxG9LvLGsRj1gQTexAOq8
Hour for the day: 9
Hours in total: 55.5

Until tomorrow,
Maria

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, Maria! What an absolutely amazing experience you've had on this once in a lifetime trip. I am in awe of all that you've done. Your blog is also fabulous. Your photos are so beautiful as are your words to describe all that you've seen and done. I well remember my trip down the Nile when I was in Egypt and it looks so familiar.

    ReplyDelete